Wednesday, February 19, 2014

California training

I set off to explore several parks in the Bay Area and beyond.  I spent a few hours on the trails at Wunderlich Park.  The greenery and shade were nice companions.




Next I drove partway up Mount Diablo and got out to finish the climb on foot.  Check out the giant pine cone!


The view from the trail:


Site of a previous mountain house:


Site of a previous fire:


And the top!  It was a good solid climb to break up a drive out to Auburn.


Lovely views from up high:


The Mount Diablo Beacon:


I spent the weekend in the Foresthill area, mostly running down into canyons to find rivers at the bottom and then speed-hiking back up.


Kids don't float!  Wait, they don't?


One of the steep roads up from a branch of the American River:


Another branch, another drop down:


I believe this is (or is close to) the site of the Western States 100 river crossing:


Fun exploring the Western States Trail:


Another day, another trail down to the river.  My biggest training day to date was repeats on the Mumford Bar Trail.  I finally located some winter snow.  I can't say I'm missing the current conditions in Albany...


This was mostly to show the large tree, but some vegetation got in the way.  Yes, I got closer to Barkley-specific training that day.


Looking toward the other side of the deep canyon:


Phew, that wore me out a little!  So far, so good.

No comments: