Sunday, February 23, 2014

Marcy on a Mission

My last couple days of training in CA... I sure got a lot done while I was there and it was an excellent trip, not just for training but to spend time with Kip.  Thanks Kip!

While driving back from Auburn I noticed some steep hills on the east side of the Bay, so I checked out some maps and found a park with Mission Peak in the middle.  Turned out to be a most excellent spot for some steep uphill work and a long climb.

Open fields looking across the park:


These look like squirrels that live in the ground, so I will call them ground squirrels.  I just checked, and apparently they really are California Ground Squirrels, what do you know.


Heading up for some excellent views of the entire area (when the clouds clear):


I could see other peaks that I had previously climbed, so it was fun remembering all the running around of the previous 10 days.  Here is mostly a view of the clouds, not sure what the distant ridge is:


On one of my ascents a squirrel was making an insistent and repeated call, so I looked up to see a coyote wandering around checking out the burrows.  He's at the top of the ridge here, not exactly cooperating for a good photo but at least he didn't run off:


Another long shot of the coyote.  Very cool:


Cows littering the pasture:


One of the many great views:


Trees that I should know what they are... Eucalyptus maybe?


Wonderful rolling hills to the east:


Clouds rolling over and around us:


Summit post:


Love the Mission Peak park!

No comments: