Friday, July 16, 2010

Welcome to Utah!

We drove to Utah yesterday, and we're pretty excited to begin our exploration of this amazing state. We're starting out at Moab, giving us an opportunity to see route 128 along the Colorado River. A couple of "truck shots":


Fisher Towers up ahead:


It was hard to know where to look - so much incredible scenery:


We found a campsite next to the river - we love the view out our back door (which needs to be open while we're there - it's a bit hot here!):


Today I did a little mountain biking on the Moab Brand trails, accessible via bike path from Moab up to a higher plateau:


Heading up the Bar-M trail:


Following "The Line" on the Bar-B trail - fun! I really enjoyed figuring out how to ride on the rocks:


Views toward Sevenmile Canyon and Arches National Park:


Rocking-A loop is called that for a reason, I quickly figured out:


Enjoying the new experience:


I also learned that it gets a bit rough riding on the slickrock after a while. It's rare that I say this, but I could have really used a full-suspension bike. My legs took a lot of shock absorption, so at the end of this (seemingly long) 1.5 miles of almost-all rock riding, I needed a break. I left the third singletrack section for another time, and finished up on the easy Bar-M trail.

Temps in the low 100's by afternoon - we're in for some good acclimation the next few weeks, that's for sure.

The best news - our friends Kathy and Bob are on their way here for a week of exploration with us. We're really looking forward to it!

No comments: