Friday, April 28, 2023

Chiricahua All-Trails FKT

I recently created and then ran an FKT at Chiricahua National Monument.  It's modeled after several similar FKT's in the eastern US, the idea being to run all of the trails in the park.  John and I explored Chiricahua a few months ago and hiked all of the trails over several days.  While roaming around, the concept of covering them all from top to bottom (with the help of the hiker shuttle) suddenly made perfect sense.  A good distance (about a marathon), overall downhill while still getting plenty of climbing, and a way to see everything, everywhere, all at once (ish).

I did a write up for my recent FKT run with the highlights:

Here are some additional notes and pictures.

I started the day pointing at Sugarloaf (the first climb) and got lucky with interesting clouds and a half-decent selfie:


It was hard not to stop for a gazillion pictures of this fascinating terrain with all sizes and shapes of rocks, but I managed to control myself for the most part with a few representative shots:


The big head of Cochise:


Mushroom Rock, as I apparently decided that I needed to point to everything today:


Big Balanced Rock, still standing, so crazy!


I adore the Heart of Rocks loop, although I can imagine anyone trying to run these trails for speed will find it more technically challenging:


Look, over there!


The view from the park road, where I admired rocks that we normally wouldn't have time to study while driving:


Another view of Sugarloaf, where I had started the run:


The pointing theme continues at the Natural Bridge:


This made me laugh enough to back up and pull out the camera:


More pictures of the coatis - so, so awesome!  With funny long tails that go straight up into the air:


They were foraging all around the trees, not sure what they were looking for, but it was more interesting to them than my presence.


Thank you, unique and cute coatis, that was awesome!


Our truck's second FKT adventure  :)


No comments: