Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Grays and Torreys Peaks

Our first double 14er of the season - it was a day for Grays Peak and Torreys Peak. We parked down at the interstate and hiked up the road (someday we'll get 4WD, and in the meantime we get more of a workout).

Crossing the footbridge at the start of the trail:


This sign gets a lot of press in the 14ers.com trip reports. I can report that it was still partially snowed under the day we went (June 27):


Hello, Marmot!


This was unexpected - Hello, Billy!


I don't recall John ever actually RUNNING up these mountains (I know I didn't), but it kinda looks like it here:


Dark chocolate Kit-Kat reward for reaching the summit of Grays Peak:


Yay!


Another Yay!


Impressive scenery:


Another delicious Kit-Kat, once we reached the top of Torreys Peak (John, I think that's the short straw, so I get the rest of the chocolate...)


Snow on the summit:



Looking back at Grays:


Snow fields on the way down:


I guess I better get used to this...


Day 2 = another good climb, another amazing day in the mountains

No comments: