Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Dumbarton Loop (new FKT run)

Kip and I have been talking for a while about perhaps setting up an FKT for a route both of us have run repeatedly, a long loop around the South Bay with a crossing of Dumbarton Bridge.  He started it several years ago, I followed in his footsteps, and recently I modified it to remove any questionable sections (i.e. possibly off-limits, although no one has ever called us on it).  Therefore the mileage is longer than Kip's original loop, and the terrain is less interesting (no climbing over a pipeline or running on railroad tracks).  But it is now, for certain, completely on publicly-accessible paths and streets.

I was planning to run the loop for training anyway this week, and although it was not ideal conditions (legs are not fresh, temperature was a bit warm by the end), I decided "what the heck," it's time to create an FKT out of this.  I've got photo documentation of the route from previous runs that I'll compile into a separate route description post.

For now, here are the photos to document my adventures today, complete with plenty of selfies.

I chose a starting point of Holger at North 1st Street.  It's a loop course, so I'd think other runners could start/finish at different spots and go either direction.

It was almost light when I started, a nice time of the morning for the beginning of a long run:


My stuff next to the pole I used as my start/finish marker:


And I'm off!  Quite pleasant running weather, starting on the bike path along 237:


The misty clouds stuck around for quite a while after daybreak, much appreciated coolness.  Here's the start of the dirt trail section, following the Bay Trail behind Baylands Park:


I topped off my water bottle at the fountain next to the wastewater plant.  I also used the porta-potty, which is only memorable in that the door is no longer on its hinges (but workable if you really need it to sort-of close).  Good enough!

The turn back along the canals leading toward Moffett Field, and yes, I was enjoying myself (either that or I was way too happy about finding that porta-potty):


Lots of shorebirds to watch this morning, hanging out on the mudflats and chasing bugs.  Looks like low tide:


I should probably know what kind of bird this is... I don't pay a lot of attention to shorebirds though:


I followed the Bay Trail, staying near the water until it cuts inland on the Adobe Creek Trail.  Bike Man!  This is a fun sculpture, although this is the first time I've noticed that he's sitting on the top tube instead of the seat... I guess he's taking a break from peddling:


Along Bayshore Road and a quick check over to Geng Road - yep, San Francisquito Trail is still closed (everything on this sign is now closed - last time at least the bridge and a couple other sections were open):


Whatcha gonna do?


No matter, I have an alternate route ready because this has been a long closure (maybe open by early next year?).  Back to Bayshore and around to Cooley Ave.  Which gave me the opportunity to pop into Starbucks for a water refill and a croissant.  Hence the self-supported nature of the run today (vs. unsupported).  I pre-ordered the croissant but apparently not early enough because I still had to wait a couple minutes.  It was worth it.  (Also worth not having to buy a bottle of water and subsequently toss a plastic bottle)

An alternate refueling station on Cooley - the market across the street:


Back on the marked Bay Trail, at least briefly (along University):


And - the highlight of the day - Dumbarton Bridge.  I always enjoy running on the bike path, climbing high over the water, and gently descending to the other side.  Great views.  Loud traffic, but whatcha gonna do.


View from the bridge on a previous run:


I refilled water at the fountain at Don Edwards, always an excellent place to pause and sit for a minute at a picnic table in the shade.

Right about here the sun finally came out.  Wow, did I ever appreciate those several hours of cool fogginess.  It wasn't too warm even with the sun, but the difference was noticeable.

Continuing on, a nice shady sidewalk along Thornton Avenue into Newark:


Newark fire station across the way:


I was happy to still be running well as I started the long straight shot south on Cherry Street.  Many times there are pretty flowers along here:


Just about to reach my last refill location, the Chevron at Cushing/Fremont (not quite yet in sight in this photo):


I was happily surprised that my legs were still moving at a decent pace.  Keep on running, then.  I had estimated ~7 to 7.5 hours and it looked like I was going to make it.

Partway down Fremont Avenue, enjoying a slight breeze and occasional shade.  I'm supposed to be keeping up with my heat training, but I was also happy not to get too warm today.  I've had several "too warm" finishes of this loop and they are not pleasant.


The top end of Coyote Creek Trail.  The sign warns of a trail closure, which I had actually seen from the car yesterday.  I also saw bikes finding a way through so I wasn't (too) worried.


After the last long stretch of bike path, here's the closure near Ranch Drive:


And the detour over to the parking lot:


A pretty minor detour:


Can't really complain about this, it could have been worse if the trail were closed further north (yeah, McCarthy Drive parallels the path, but it's much less pleasant for running):


And the other end of the closure:


I didn't think I had nearly enough time to break 7 hours, so I kept running but didn't feel the need to sprint.  And here we are, the pole I started at... just over 7 hours earlier (huh, that was closer than I expected):


My splits for today (start/finish = Holger at North 1st Street):
Fountain at wastewater plant (4.1 miles) = 42:12
Starbucks just before Cooley (13.7 miles) = 2:33:48 (1:51:36 split)
Don Edwards fountain (20.9 miles) = 3:58:36 (1:24:48 split)
Convenience store at Cushing/Fremont (28.9 miles) = 5:39:18 (1:40:41 split)
Finish (36.4 miles) = 7:02:50 (1:23:31 split)

Hmm, yep, that should provide motivation to run this again sometime and try to break 7 hours!  I think I can do it...

The FKT page for this run:
https://fastestknowntime.com/route/south-bay-dumbarton-loop-ca

No comments: