Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Mary's Peak FKT

I got a little sidetracked on the FKT website when I sat down to write this post - they now have:
 - "Tracking Now", a list of FKT's in progress
 - A new podcast; I'm always up for trying new things to listen to while I run
 - An article about Jennifer Pharr Davis's new book called The Pursuit of Endurance; I enjoy her writing and this subject is right up my alley (just need to decide between audio, Google Play Book, or the paperback version...)
- A link to a fun write-up about Sue Johnston; she's in the Barkley history books and has been on great adventures for many years:
https://www.outsideonline.com/2343091/best-ultrarunner-fkt-sue-johnston

Anyway, I did another little FKT run last month.  At the start of my multi-week "Big Trip" I drove up through Oregon, passing northern California and southern Oregon as quickly as possible due to wildfire smoke.  I've starting using the FKT site as a resource for finding interesting runs and hikes.

Mary's Peak was just the ticket - not too far off my driving route, a solid climb but not too long, and it looked like a nice way to see part of Oregon I might otherwise have missed:
https://fastestknowntime.com/route/marys-peak-or

I parked at the Day Use parking lot near the top and hiked downhill to the Woods Creek trailhead.  It seemed easier to access that parking lot via paved roads than try to navigate the truck on dirt logging roads to the lower trailhead.

Ah, lovely woods!


What a wonderful way to break up a long drive.  I was quite content that morning.


I love the tall trees, and somehow managed a decent photo of the forest:


One intersection close to the trailhead for the North Ridge Trail:


You are here...


Across the road I saw a trail sign for the C2C, Corvallis to Coast.  That should be a fun one when they get it finished:


OK, time to start the watch...


Quick photo on the fly - this was a short FKT effort by my normal standards so I was trying to keep up the documentation while putting in a decent effort.  The fact that any of these selfies came out means I'm getting some good practice with this lately (John is the real selfie taker in the family).


Long, beautiful switchbacks, trees and shade, just a few roots and step-ups along the way, quite a wonderful trail:


The 2nd trail intersection, nearing the top of the woods section (the trail is well-signed):


About to pop out at the parking lot:


Looking across the parking lot to the final trail that leads to the peak:


A bit of dirt road:


I had intended to follow the tracks of Dan Kraft who created this FKT, but the direct trail to the summit is now closed:


Slight backtrack (that's what I get for not pre-hiking the entire thing) but at least I was aware of the alternate options.  You could take the road around to the left of the peak or the Summit Loop Trail to the right - I chose the trail:


Not far into the woods at the split with the trail to the campground:


And a short final climb toward that tower just over the horizon:


The top of the closed section of trail:


Almost there...


1:17 for a nice 2300 foot climb (in line with my FKT speed of "respectable but beatable"):


Normally you might be able to see the Pacific Ocean from here... guess I'll have to come back another time to see it:


My reaction to the smoke:


It is kind of pretty in a strange way (but I'm happy the skies along the west coast are much clearer as I'm writing this a few weeks later):


FKT report:
https://fastestknowntime.com/fkt/marcy-beard-marys-peak-or-2018-08-14

Fun one!

No comments: