Thursday, July 4, 2019

Missoula Mountain Trifecta FKT

John's doing CDT trail work in the Montana mountains this week - his happy place.  My happy place lately is on an FKT run, so that's where I headed after dropping him off.  I found a fun route that climbs the 3 high points around the town of Missoula.  Time to try for another "first women's completion" while these opportunities still exist.

The FKT webpage:
https://fastestknowntime.com/route/missoula-mountain-trifecta-mt

I ran out of time to thoroughly study the map or print anything out, so I added a few stars to my Google Map and carried the phone in a handy pocket.  Hopefully I wouldn't end up doing too much backtracking.

The trailhead at the edge of the University of Montana:


The stadium across the way:


Mount Sentinel has a trail that has existed for over 100 years, including the giant white "M" on the hill:


There's no way I'm not taking a picture of this sign - "Pick your nose, not the flowers!"


Wildlife sighting!  This buck meandered down the hillside near a bunch of hikers on the trail.  Didn't seem particularly perturbed.


Many people hike up to the "M" and stop there:


A view of Mount Jumbo which would be climb #2 later:


Looking down from the top of the white "M":


Further up, a wind sock (and I saw a couple paragliders in the distance that day):


It was a good haul up to the first high spot, rather steep in spots.  Then a fun little trail that switchbacks down the backside:


Crossing a field of colorful flowers on the way to the top of University Mountain's antenna towers:


I reached the towers in 1:33, happy that my legs didn't seem to mind the effort a week after Old Cascadia:


Looking back toward Missoula:


I returned along the ridge and located the well-signed turnoff to Hellgate Canyon Trail:


It was a beautiful run down the singletrack.  It took a few minutes for my legs to stretch out and remember how to do this, but eventually they woke up and got in the groove.


Nice view down to Clark Fork River and I-90 (it's always fun to think about being on I-90 out west and also way east in NY and MA):


End of the downhill, at the junction with Kim Williams Trail at the river:


It was flat for a bit so I took the time to eat a snack before picking up the jogging again.


Passing the other side of the stadium:


I like the pedestrian bridge over the river:


Especially all the locks:


I'm not sure why this is a "thing" in different places but it's neat:


A woman working on a beautiful mural along Van Buren Street:


Climbing up Mount Jumbo, with a glimpse of the "L" on the side of this hill:


"L" above Missoula:


Looking northwest toward the final hill - I guess it's over there somewhere, I'll figure that out when I get there:


The trail to the top - and my map stars actually ended before this point, but the trail kept climbing and Mount Jumbo was marked further up on Google, so obviously I kept going:


Not sure why the track on the FKT page turns around before this point (maybe a tracking error).  Here's the top of Mt. Jumbo, just before the terrain drops off to the north.  Total time = 3:44.  Time for another snack.


It was nice that each climb was significantly less than the previous one.  Soon I was back down on the street and heading for the last section.  It was getting warm but my legs were still a "go" so let's go.


I followed my Google stars carefully over to the Waterworks trailhead and up the ridge.  The trails on Google and the signs on the ground weren't exactly obvious, but I had placed the stars based on Tyler's track and that worked perfectly.  Soon I was passing near the antenna towers on the way to the final minor ascent:


Looking back at the "L" on Mt. Jumbo:


And the "M" of Sentinel/University Mountain:


Interesting fence right before the last uphill:


And - I think this is the top!  4:50 total time.


More star-following to traverse to the other side and then catch the faint trail down to the left.  It was a nice little run down to the bottom:


At the trailhead, done in 5:07:52.


That was fun!  An excellent tour of the local trails and hills, with great views of the surrounding area.  The 2-mile run/walk back through town to our truck wasn't even too bad (there's a convenience store right there with cold drinks available to aid in recovery).

Thanks for setting up this one, Tyler!

No comments: