Sunday, August 22, 2021

Hiking up toward Mt Harvard

My blog is still stuck back in June and in Colorado... at this point you could call it "reminiscing".

So here's a little hike up Memory Lane, from our camping spot near Buena Vista.  We had the opportunity to walk out the back door of the property and climb up to the Colorado Trail and beyond.  Seemed like a great idea!

I climbed up through the trees and found this relic in an old mining area:


Must have been interesting living and working here, many years ago:


Fun little trail that connects up to the CT:


Wildlife sighting!  What a poser:


Above treeline and looking east into the BV valley:


At this point I'm off-trail and aiming for ~13,000', enjoying a bit of route finding through the tundra:


Gentle, rocky slopes:


Eeeep!  A pika sighting is always a good day.


Looking up toward Mount Harvard - I didn't feel the need to try to climb it that day, but John did.  He might even be in this photo  :)


The rather-intimidating-looking ridge between Harvard and Columbia:


A couple pictures from John from the top of Harvard (nice climbing, John!):


His spectacular scenery reward for the making the climb:


We crossed paths as he was coming down and I was about to drop into the next drainage over - hi honey!  I guess we didn't feel the need to take a selfie that day.

I went looking for a trail but didn't find it, so I continued cross-country until I located this path heading downhill:


Back on the Colorado Trail - always fun doing some trekking on the CT in various places:


An excellent new bridge:


No idea how this happened:


Fun day!

Almost done reporting about June and Colorado...

No comments: