Thursday, August 5, 2021

Rafting class

In preparation for our Grand Canyon river rafting trip this fall, we did a rafting class in Salida back in June.  Three of our oarsmen were there and I went along for the ride.

Suited up and ready for instruction:


Our two excellent teachers, whose names I should have written down...


John looks to be enjoying himself!


Getting ready for some ferrying practice:


Our instructors had little boatmen toys they would use to explain which direction we should try to face in particular situations, which was a nice visual aid:


There might have been a funny story behind this picture, I'm not sure:


Woo hoo, go Jeff go!


I'm glad I captured this picture, also that I hung onto the camera because I think Jimmy took a hard pull at the oars immediately following this moment:


I enjoyed that level of river "difficulty" (i.e. not difficult), also the ease that the rafts went over obstacles without blinking.  Much different than in a canoe or packraft.

Our instructor even gave me the chance to try out the oars through an easy section; well, OK, cool!  It took some practice to figure out which way to push and pull, backwards from all my other water experience.  Once I got going I could continue the same motion.  Until something changed, like I needed to turn a bit or back paddle.  Not something that came naturally, but it was quite entertaining.

Next thing I knew we were heading down some light rapids, and I distinctly remember saying out loud, "what am I doing in these rapids??"  Again, the raft and the river were forgiving and we sailed on down the stream.  Fun!

Maybe I'll do some flatwater oaring in the canyon, that would be quite the experience.

A successful day and we didn't even get wet!


Thank you Canyon River Instruction!

Also Jimmy and Jeff for joining us and for the entertaining conversations.  See you next month!

No comments: